Today I will write about our RXF. I hear a lot of users that have issues and worse, there are a lot of users that do not speak about issues…. We find out indirectly that there was trouble.Most issues can be traced back to errors in the install procedure, take really good care that this is done properly.Also a big source of problems is the installation of a new version of the RXF. OK, this is not straight forward, I admit.Although the RXF has its own Macros for sending events, if you want to use the same model in an OXF environment, you better use the IBM macros.Assign the Memory Properties in the Component. Make new components if you want to experiment with these values.
Hints and Tips for installation
- We are there to help you. Really. I know you are afraid that your friend Google might be insulted if you ask someone else for help, but really: he is not.
- Install should run without errors!
Yes. If install gives you an error, it’s serious. There is something wrong. You should not ignore it.
- Install can tell you after entering a path for a compiler, RTOS or Rhapsody that it cannot find some file. Pressing “Yes” will much later expose errors that you cannot map on the install anymore!
- READ!!! OK, OK… we do not always write clearly but you should be able to understand what the install program wants from you.
- if you cannot read: ASK!
- Check if the install path is not to long! (c:\user\thatsme\Install directory for tools\Rpy_CPP_embOS_IAR5_CM3_EFM32\Rpy_CPP_embOS_IAR5_CM3_EFM32\Rpy_CPP_embOS_IAR5_CM3_EFM32 is too long. Install will either give errors or just not copy everything. Sometimes without error message….
- The version numbers of Compiler, RTOS and Rhapsody are not given in the install fore nothing. That means that the RXF is tested with these specific versions. Installing the RXF using older or newer versions can work, but not necessarily…
- Do not install the RXF under a “magic” windows directory like “c:\Program Files” or any language/bitsize variant. As already said in one of the first entries: Installing Rhapsody.
- If, in spite of being careful, you have problems: tell us! Windows is a complex environment, that in combination with differences in hardware and interfering IT departments can cause nightmares.
- If you want to use the Willert Software Tools Embedded UML Studio: You HAVE to install and RXF! Just install, you don’t have to use it.
Hints and Tips for re-install
- We are still there to help you. Never mind your girl-friends Siri and Alexa, we are better, much better!
- Regularly check http://download.willert.de for updates.
- Speak with us when you want to use a new version of Rhapsody, Compiler or RTOS (Or even CPU)
- There are different use-cases for re-install.
- You have a new version of Rhapsody but want to use the same RXF
- You still have to re-install the RXF…. It may seem to work but it is not integrated in your Rhapsody…. No problem, it is still working in your old Rhapsody, that is… if you install the RXF to the same path as where it was.
- You have the same Rhapsody but a new RXF
- Is more difficult. Best is to install the new RXF and load the profile in the existing model. You have to check which stereotypes are used in your model and manually re-assign them to the new profile. A good test is to try and delete a profile, if there are stereotypes used, Rhapsody will refuse to delete it.
- The properties for the static memory blocks are the same… but the MetaClass changes… you have to re-assign them to the correct properties.
I hope this makes your life with Rhapsody a bit easier!
Walter van der Heiden ( email@example.com )